1. Shami leaves use: An infusion of the tender leaves is used as an astringent and remedy for diarrhoea and dysentery. The extract of leaves is used to kill intestinal parasitic worms. The pods are used in the treatment of urinogenital diseases. The seeds are reported to have a hypoglycaemic effect
2. Bringraj leaves use: consumption of Bhringraj might be helpful in hair growth. Bhringraj is one of the main constituents for herbal preparations used in the management of hair loss due to its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic properties.
3. Bilwa leaves use: Bilva leaves are known to effectively control blood sugar levels in one’s body. The juice from crushed Bilva leaves is rich in laxatives, which helps in producing the required insulin to control the sugar levels. Diarrhoea: It is most effective in chronic diarrhoea and ulcerative colitis
4. Bahama Grass or Couch grass uses: According to Unani system of medicine and Ayurvedic medicine system, Cynodon dactylon is used as a laxative, coolant, and expectorant, carminative and as a brain and heart tonic. In Homoeopathic systems of medicine, it is used to treat all types of bleeding and skin troubles.
5. Ber Leaves: According to a study published in the Journal of Natural Remedies , the extract of jujube or ber leaves are great to lose weight.
You will need:
i. Take a handful of ber leaves.
ii. Soak in water overnight.
iii. Have this water every morning, preferably on an empty stomach.
The leaves take out the belly fat and unnecessary and harmful fat from our body.
6. Datura: Some medicinal uses of the plant are its anti-inflammatory property of all parts of the plant, stimulation of the central nervous system, respiratory decongestion, treatment of dental and skin infections, alopecia and in the treatment of toothache
7. Tulasi: The leaves strengthen the stomach and help in respiratory diseases. Kidney Stone: Basil has a strengthening effect on the kidney.
8. Bonavista Bean, Dolichos Bean: These leaves and seeds are very much useful in making Ayurvedic medicines and the leaves are useful in diarrhoea and stomach disorders
9. Prickly Chaff Flower and leaves use: Antimicrobial and antifungal potential, insect moulting hormonal activity, anti-fertility agent. The plant has been reported to have cancer chemopreventive activity and antitumor property, Anti-inflammatory activity
10. Yellow Berried Nightshade leaves uses: herb is useful in cough, chest pain, against vomiting, hair fall, leprosy, itching scabies, skin diseases and cardiac diseases associated with oedema (Kumar et al., 2010). Roots decoction is used as fabric, effective diuretic and expectorant.
11. Achiote uses: The seed, leaf, and root are used to make medicine. People take annatto / Achiote for diabetes, diarrhoea, constipation, vomiting, fluid retention, heartburn, malaria, hepatitis, fever, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure. They also use it for heart health and to clear the lungs.
12. Indian Bay leaf uses: Helps In Improving Digestion, Heart-Friendly. A Herb Perfect for Diabetics, Acts As a Stress-Buster Protects Your Body From Inflammation. Natural Wound Healer.
13. Hummingbird Tree, Agati leaf uses: The leaves possess powerful anthelmintic, diuretic and laxative property. The flowers are valuable in curing headache, night blindness and cataracts. Apart from these, the bark of the tree is used to treat diarrhoea, gonorrhoea, malaria and smallpox.
14. Indian Oleander, Oleander uses: Despite the danger, oleander is of great medicinal importance and used for heart conditions, asthma, epilepsy, cancer, painful menstrual periods, leprosy, malaria, ringworm, indigestion, and venereal disease; and to cause abortions, as well as drugs derived from this plant, is used in treatment of cancer.
15. Banana: Eating on banana leaves is healthy in every way. It is packed with polyphenols, which are natural antioxidants that are also found in green tea. These polyphenols battle all the free radicals in the body and prevent diseases. Banana leaf is also rich in polyphenol oxidase which is an enzyme to treat Parkinson’s disease.
16. Sodom Apple, Dead Sea Apple (Jilledu): Twigs are applied for the preparation of diuretics, stomach tonic and anti-diarrhoeic and for asthma. It is also used in abortion, as an anthelmintic, for colic, cough, whooping cough, dysentery, headache, lice treatment, jaundice, sore gums and mouth, toothache, sterility, swellings and ulcers
17. White Marudah: It has antihyperlipidemic, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant characteristics. Astringents substances in Arjuna Bark have anti-hemorrhagic property
18. Devadaru Tree benefits: All parts of this plant are used for various medicinal benefits. Devdaru helps to relieve cough by removing mucus from the respiratory tract due to its expectorant property
19. Marjoram: It is also used as a “nerve tonic” and a “heart tonic,” and to promote better blood circulation. Marjoram oil is used for coughs, gall bladder complaints, stomach cramps and digestive disorders, depression, dizziness, migraines, nervous headaches, nerve pain, paralysis, coughs, runny nose; and as a “water pill.
20. Kachnar, Orchid Tree: Stem bark is used for dysentery and diarrhoea and as an astringent. The leaf is used for malaria and headache. The fibre is used to stitch wounds. The plant is also used to cure skin diseases like leprosy and leucoderma
21. Benefits of Pandanus, Pandan, / Screw Pine leaves: In treating High Blood Pressure, Cleansing dandruff, prevents hair loss, Overcoming weak nerves, relieves insomnia, relieves rheumatism, and reduces fever.
A few of the leaves may have a toxic effect if directly taken. After Lord Ganesh Pooja, for nine days, the toxicity of leaves become neutral and the medicinal values in the leaves remain the same. After navarathri all leaves are merged into the water along with clay Ganesha. The medicinal values spread in the water. Many years ago people in India used to drink water from wells, rivers, ponds and other water bodies. The diseases in India in the season of rainy is prevalent and Ganesh Chaturthi comes at the same time. So this mechanism of mixing the herbs into water is like spreading the medicine to every house. This mechanism was followed by all the villages and towns which resulted in healthy lives in some hundred years ago.
I really do not know why people have been missing such beautiful science. We are waking up when some country tries to have the patent on Neem or Turmeric. We have been using all of them from more than 5000 years. When we used charcoal all laughed at us, but the same charcoal is being used in toothbrushes and branding them and selling them. We should understand that we used salt to clean teeth and now the foreign companies have been asking us if our toothpaste consists of salt or not! We have been buying them blindly!!
I think we should realise the greatness of the medical system called Ayurveda and the ancient Indian Lifestyle.